Lijia MA, Ph.D.
School of Life Sciences
Functional Genomics and Bioinformatics
Dr. Lijia Ma received her Ph.D. in bioinformatics in 2009. She moved to the University of Chicago in 2010 as a postdoc scholar and was then appointed as Staff Scientist since 2014. She’s been deeply involved in the NIH ENCODE, modENCODE, and Functional Characterization Center projects and supervised the sub-projects at the University of Chicago during 2016-2018.
In Westlake, Dr. Ma is continuing her efforts to develop experimental and computational methods, focusing on miniaturized and screening-based technologies, and, in the long-term, applying integrative genomics and transcriptomics to both biological model systems and clinics.
Currently, Lijia Ma’s Laboratory focuses on the following two research areas. One is to develop large-scale profiling assays and bioinformatics tools, to decipher and interpret the human genome, especially to chart the cis- and trans- components that are involved in shaping the regulatory network then the cell fate. The second is developing and applying the genome editing tools to establish projections between genotype and phenotype and explore the unlimited potentials of CRISPR therapeutics in clinics.
1. Song Q*, Ni K*, Liu M*, Li Y, Wang L, Wang Y, Liu Y, Yu Z, Qi Y, Lu Z, Ma L. Direct-seq: programmed gRNA scaffold for streamlined scRNA-seq in CRISPR screen. Genome Biology. 2020
2. Ni K, Ma L. Molecular Biology Techniques for Endometrial Gene Expression: Recent Technological Advances. Endometrium Gene Expression (Chapter 2), Springer. 2020
3. Chen Q*, Li Y*, Wang X, Zhang X, Hu Y, Li L, Suo D, Ni K, Li Z, Zhan J, Zeng T, Zhu Y, Li Y, Ma L#, Guan X#. Tumor fibroblast-derived FGF2 regulates expression of SPRY1 in esophageal tumor-infiltrating T cells and plays a role in T cell exhaustion. Cancer Research. 2020
4. Wang H, Hu X, Huang M, Liu J, Gu Y,Ma L, Zhou Q, Cao X. Mettl3-mediated RNA m6A methylation promotes dendritic cell activation. Nature Communication. 2019
5. Hsu P, Fei Q, Dai Q, Shi H, Dominissini D, Ma L, He C. Single base resolution mapping of 2′-O-methylation sites in human mRNA and in 3′ terminal ends of small RNAs. Methods. 2019
6. Ma L, Zhao B, Chen K, Thomas A, Tuteja JH, He X, et al. Evolution of transcript modification by N6-methyladenosine in primates. Genome Research. 2017 (Cover Story)
7. Slattery M*, Ma L*, Spokony RF*, Arthur RK, Kheradpour P, Kundaje A, et al. Diverse patterns of genomic targeting by transcriptional regulators in Drosophila melanogaster. Genome Research. 2014 (Cover Story)
8. Negre N*, Brown CD*, Ma L*, Bristow CA*, Miller SW*, Wagner U*, et al. A cis-regulatory map of the Drosophila genome. Nature. 2011
9. modENCODE Consortium*. Identification of functional elements and regulatory circuits by Drosophila modENCODE. Science. 2010
10. Chen X*, Ba Y*, Ma L*, Cai X, Yin Y, Wang K, et al. Characterization of microRNAs in serum: a novel class of biomarkers for diagnosis of cancer and other diseases. Cell Research. 2008.