Houfeng ZHENG, Ph.D.
School of Life Sciences
Diseases & Population (DaP) Geninfo Lab
"As a young scientist who just returned from the Western, I hope to grow together with the Westlake Institute for Advanced Study (WIAS), and to witness a real Chinese world-class university."
Dr. Houfeng Zheng is currently a principal investigator of the School of Life Sciences, Westlake University. He received his MD in 2004 and PhD in 2010. He finished his postdoc training in Human Genetics in McGill University, Canada from 2010 to 2014. He was nominated as one of the Ten Outstanding Overseas Chinese of Hangzhou city. His main expertise is to use bioinformatic tools for the analysis of large genetic data. He is also a certified dermatologist.
The main research interests (1) the genetics of complex diseases and traits, such as osteoporosis, bone mineral density, vitamin D, sarcopenia and obesity; (2) gut microbiome and complex diseases (3) population genetics.
Dr. Houfeng Zheng published first- and corresponding-author papers in Nature, BMJ, Nature Genetics and Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases. The overall citation of these papers is up to 6000 times. Dr. Houfeng Zheng sat in the reviewer board of National Natural Science Foundation of China and American Society for Human Genetics Meeting. He was funded by the Canadian Institute of Health Research, the National Natural Science Foundation of China, and the Outstanding Youth Project of Zhejiang Natural Science Foundation.
1. Xia J, Xie SY, Liu KQ, Xu L, Zhao PP, Gai SR, Guan PL, Zhao JQ, Zhu YP, Tsoi LC, Stuart PE, Nair RP, Yang HQ, Liao YT, Mao K, Qiu MC, Ying ZM, Hu B, Yang ZH, Bai WY, Zhu XW, Cong PK, Elder JT, Ye ZM, Wang B, Zheng HF*. Systemic evaluation of the relationship between psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis and osteoporosis: observational and Mendelian randomisation study. Ann Rheum Dis. 2020 Nov;79(11):1460-1467.
2. Zhu X, Zheng H*. Factors influencing peak bone mass gain. Front Med. 2020 Jun 9. doi: 10.1007/s11684-020-0748-y.
3. Bai WY, WangL, YingZM, HuB, XuL, ZhangGQ, Cong PK, Zhu X, Zou W, Zheng HF*. Identification of PIEZO1 polymorphisms for human bone mineral density and fracture. Bone. 2020 Apr;133:115247.
4. Bai WY, Zhu XW, Cong PK, Zhang XJ, Richards JB, Zheng HF*. Genotype imputation and reference panel: a systematic evaluation on haplotype size and diversity. Brief Bioinform. 2019 Nov 6:bbz108.
5. Zhao PP, Xu LW, Sun T, Wu YY, Zhu XW, Zhang B, Cheng Z, Cai X, Liu YC, Zhao TT, Wu TT, Ma HY, Wang L, Zhang XW, Yang L, Zheng HF*. Relationship between alcohol use, blood pressure and hypertension: an association study and a Mendelian randomisation study. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2019 Sep;73(9):796-801.
6. Trajanoska K#, Morris JA#, Oei L#, Zheng HF#, et al. Assessment of the genetic and clinical determinants of fracture risk: genome wide association and mendelian randomisation study. BMJ. 2018 Aug 29;362:k3225.
7. Zheng HF, Forgetta V, Hsu YH, Estrada K, et al. Whole-genome sequencing identifies EN1 as a determinant of bone density and fracture. Nature. 2015 Oct 1;526(7571):112-7.
8. Zheng HF*, Duncan EL, et al. Meta-analysis of genome-wide studies identifies MEF2C SNPs associated with bone mineral density at forearm. J Med Genet. 2013 Jul;50(7):473-8.
9.Chen J#, Zheng H#,Bei JX,et al.Genetic Structure of the Han Chinese Population Revealed by Genome-wide SNP Variation, Am J Hum Genet.2009 Dec;85(6):775-85.
10. Han JW#, Zheng HF#, Cui Y#, Sun LD, Ye DQ, Hu Z, et al. Genome-wide association study in a Chinese Han population identifies nine new susceptibility loci for systemic lupus erythematosus. Nat Genet. 2009 Nov;41(11):1234-7.
A full publication list can be found: